U5 - U8 Grassroots Program
Outdoor Registration Opens March 15th!
Southwest United's Grassroots Program follows Canada Soccer's Long-Term Player Development model and supports FIFA’s “Philosophy of Grassroots Football”.
Our program utilizes both the “Active Start” and “FUNdamentals” curriculum and is designed to run as an academy style program with a focus on learning the game through age appropriate activities and games.
SWU's technical director Tomasz Janas leads the Grassroots program, assisted by other members of the technical team. Training is held two times per week, on Monday and Wednesday nights, for 45 minutes per session. Players are expected to attend training on a regular basis. Players will experience game play against other clubs in weekend festivals.
The Grassroots program runs in five week long semesters throughout the season on the club's fields at Ivor Dent Sports Park.
• Basic fundamental skills
• Ball mastery
• Developing comfort with the ball
• Passing and receiving the ball with confidence
• Movement games
• Soccer specific movement and balance training
• Ability and age appropriate games (1v1, 2v2 3v3)
• Focus on festival play
• Safe, fun & positive environment helps build a love of sport
• Introduction to soccer & development of basic technical skills
• Improves player fitness, agility and coordination
• LTPD model helps players learn faster, develop good habits & stay motivated
• Develops social skills, self-awareness and confidence
• Teaches kids how to overcome obstacles and challenges
• Develop focus and concentration