U5 - U8 Grassroots Program
Indoor 2018/19 registration is open!
Southwest United's Grassroots Program follows Canada Soccer's Long-Term Player Development model and supports FIFA’s “Philosophy of Grassroots Football”.
Our program utilizes both the “Active Start” and “FUNdamentals” curriculum and is designed to run as an academy style program with a focus on learning the game through age appropriate activities and games.
The Grassroots Program is offered to boys and girls between 4 and 7 years old who live in the South Zone (south of the North Saskatchewan river). Players on the north side of the river should contact EIYSA's for a list of North Zone clubs (EIYSA).
SWU technical director Hussein Shabdi leads the Grassroots Program, assisted by volunteer parent coaches. Practices are generally held 2 times per week, for 45 to 60 minutes per session. Players are expected to attend practices on a regular basis.
Practice days will be Monday and Wednesday nights, times and locations are determined based on the availability of the coaches and facilities. Mini-festivals are scheduled periodically during the season to introduce players to a competitive game environment.
• Basic fundamental skills
• Ball mastery
• Developing comfort with the ball
• Passing and receiving the ball with confidence
• Movement games
• Soccer specific movement and balance training
• Ability and age appropriate games (1v1, 2v2 3v3)
• Focus on festival play
• Safe, fun & positive environment helps build a love of sport
• Introduction to soccer & development of basic technical skills
• Improves player fitness, agility and coordination
• LTPD model helps players learn faster, develop good habits & stay motivated
• Develops social skills, self-awareness and confidence
• Teaches kids how to overcome obstacles and challenges
• Develop focus and concentration